Catechin-Rich Ice Tea
Catechins found in green tea have been shown to possess strong antioxidant and anti-cancer properties. This recipe uses loose tea leaves (instead of using tea bags) and advises a relatively long brewing time, both of which improve the release of catechins from green tea leaves. Lemon juice, rich in vitamin C, further improves the availability of catechins.
- 2 cups water
- 2 1/2 tsp loose green tea leaves
- (loose leaves release more catechins than tea bags)
- 3 Tbsp freshly pressed organic lemon juice
- Boil the water. Place green tea leaves in tea pot and pour boiling water into the pot. Let steep five minutes.
- Strain the tea and add lemon juice (lemon juice is rich in vitamin C which helps make the catechins contained in green tea more available to the body).
- Refrigerate until completely chilled before serving.
- Serve with eco-friendly straws made of tough borosilicate glass, stainless steel, or bamboo.